Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It's Complicated

Those who know me best are certain I'd fall in love with Nancy Meyer's little love comedy plainly due to Goddess Streep. I did- the first 20 minutes of it. I am big on Alec Baldwin too but I think this had too much of him. Meryl Streep embraces her age and maturity with grace and elegance- Nancy Meyer had better written a deserving script but she didn't so. I struggled a bit to see "mature" people being intimate. It doesn't help that Alec Baldwin looks like one of 'em Alaskan Bears Sarah Pailin would hunt down. Still, Streep's character made the picture witty and alive. I am however not at all keen on the actors who played the children. John Krasinski, Lake Bell? Come one! This isn't Over my Dead Body or License to Wed. Hell no. Casting ain't all that great but I did like the bits with the Holy Trio. Steve Martin did a good job though I would have loved to see him more in the movie. He never fails to be funny. Alec I guess had a bit of practice with 30 rock along with Tina Fey so he wasn't too bad. Maybe it isn't much of Meryl's cup of tea but if she could do Death becomes Her and She-Devil then I ought to see her in more of these.

No comments: